-
May 7th, 2001, 07:09 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I'm definitely going to go the neg stock route with Super 8 and I just want to know if I can trust Super8sound (Pro8). Their package deal with the 4 rolls of Pro8 film plus a 1/2 hr Rank transfer for $326 is very good deal. But I see that some think that one should have Yale handle the developing and Cinepost do the transfer. Is the Rank rate at Cinepost $225/hr, and do they allow for a 1/2 hour minimum?
What IS the word and can Super8sound (Pro8) be trusted? Also, has anyone used the other neg stocks that Pro8 offers, such as the 8/45 (50D) or the 8/77 (320T) stocks? Are these worth buying?
-
May 7th, 2001, 10:41 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I shoot music video's and use them always with great success. Their transfers and film stock are in my opinion..some of the best..I love to see the faces of the TV station techs when some of my video's run on local mtv like shows..and I tell them it was shot on super-8..they keep asking.how It was done..I have shot most of the stocks..except 800 and 640..just watch your exposure...use a handheld light meter..it takes a little getting used to from using reversal film IMO..but I love what super8sound has done for the 8mm crowd..I think it brought us into the game(film stock wise that is) and with the RANK tansfers..it's just iceing on the cake..Just my 2 cents
Neil
JOCKO FILMS
-
May 7th, 2001, 11:26 PM
#3
Inactive Member
i shoot black & white reversal, that is why i use cine post. but i have used super8sound in the past and have always found them very professional. if you're shooting teir stocks (pro8), i would have the transfer done by them also. keep it simple......
-
May 8th, 2001, 02:15 AM
#4
HB Forum Moderator
Big Problem, the survivors of Super-8mm transfers......
.....Super-8 Sound, Yale, Film and Video Transfers, don't talk to each other.
Instead of combining forces in a market that has suddenly been reborn, they hold on to their own knowledge in an ever tighter grip, justifiably paranoid that the other two will steal their discoveries and secrets about telecine transfer.
Because they have no united front, Kodak looks at the Super-8 field as completely insignificant and unimportant.
If ever there was a time when a monopoly of forces needed to trust each other for the good of the format, now is the time.
Instead, it's hand to mouth disease, as long as enough money comes in the front door, the actual long-term future of Super-8 is not an issue they worry about.
-Alex
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks